Welcome to Samaritans
If you need someone to listen, call Samaritans.
Samaritans offer non-judgemental, confidential support to anyone who is lonely or in emotional distress. Simply call Samaritans on 04 473 9739 or 0800 726 666. We are available 24 hours a day.
Some of the common reasons to call Samaritans include:
Relationship and Family Problems.
Loss, including loss of job, or friend or family member through bereavement.
Job stress or overwork.
College or study related stress.
Body Image issues.
Don't feel alone, our dedicated volunteers are there to help, and it’s amazing the difference having someone who listens and cares can make.
- listen and help people talk through what’s troubling them
- offer compassion and understanding
- offer callers confidentiality and anonymity
- discuss options
- offer support and encouragement
- give advice.
- solve people’s problems. Samaritans don't focus on the problem; they respond to the person.
- make referrals, but they are ready to listen and continue to support callers in need of a listening ear.
While most of our work is over the telephone, some Samaritans branches also offer a service for visitors to our centres, where they can meet and listen to people in person. It is a good idea to ring the helpline of your local centre to arrange a time. The New Zealand Samaritans service is a charitable organisation and is headquartered in Wellington. There are six Samaritans offices across the North Island and they can be contacted directly if you prefer.